Search

The Nigerian Government monitors social media platforms ahead of #occupylekkitollgate

The Nigerian government on Thursday warned social media platforms over their role in the October 2020 protest against police brutality tagged #EndSARS.


The government’s threat came at a time when a fresh protest against the handing over of Lekki toll gate, where Nigerian forces opened fire on unarmed protesters last October, to the Lekki Concession Company (LCC).


“The Federal Government is also keenly watching the role being played by the various social media platforms in this renewed clamor for violence in the country,” Nigeria’s information and culture minister Lai Mohammed said at a press conference in Abuja, the capital.


The Nigerian Government monitors social media platforms ahead of #occupylekkitollgate

Mohammed accused social media platforms of encouraging the violence and destruction of properties that occurred during the #EndSARS protests in different parts of the country.

“Recall that the social media platforms that eagerly nudged on the #EndSars protesters,” Mohammed said.


Referring to the violence on United State’s Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump, the minister stated that “until the situation got out of hand, (social media platforms) are the same ones that quickly pulled the plug on even their own President when the chips were down in their own country.”


Many Nigerian cities, especially Lagos State where the #EndSARS protest was held, suffered a loss of lives and destruction of properties from the violence that followed the protest.


While normalcy has since returned to Lagos, members of the judicial panel set up by the government to investigate the October 2020 Lekki shooting drew the ire of the youths, when they voted 5-4 in favor of the handing over of the Lekki Toll Gate to LCC.

Similar to the beginning of the nationwide #EndSARS protest, another protest tagged


#OccupyLekkiTollGate is gathering momentum in Lagos – from social media. A counter-protest is also in the offing. Both are scheduled for Saturday, But the Nigerian government said it will resist any form of violent protest.


“No government anywhere will allow a repeat of the kind of destruction, killing and maiming wrought by the hijackers of EndSars protests last year,” Mohammed said.

Source: The Guardian NG

Recent Posts

Tags

Newsletter

Get the news sent to you directly. Receive updates as we post

Categories

Advertise

  • Instagram
  • naijafeeds
  • YouTube
© Naijafeeds.com 2021